Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Thing 18 - Study Skills & Visual Thinking

Study Skills

Using Quizlet


I found this app to be extremely easy to use.  I was able to make a set of flashcards for our upcoming Landforms Unit.  It was easy to do and playing with the available features was fun.  My son stopped what he was doing to come watch me as I was frantically typing before the definition ran across the screen.  This would be an easy way for 2nd graders to Expand vocabulary and could be used as a “word work” activity to go along with The Cafe and Daily 5 activities in my classroom.  Also, with the many choices of activities available with this app, it could be used with students of varying abilities.  I could see my students buddying up so that higher readers could work with my special education students or lower readers.




Popplet Lite




My personal iPad is the only one available in my classroom at this time.  Our school will be getting a class set next school year.  I am used to just purchasing an app for my iPad if I want it.  I’m not sure what I will do about the limitations of a free version.  Perhaps, I can approach our PTCO (parent group) for funding for the full version of the app.  In the meantime, I will have to adjust my lessons to adhere to the limitations.


My popplet is about my grandma, a biographical popplet.  I made this one as an example for my students.  Our school recently celebrated Grandparent’s Day.  Since we didn’t have the iPads for all, we made a similar paper/pencil version.  The class was excited, but I know they would be even more excited to complete the task on the iPad.


Another use of the popplet would be to make a timeline.  Our 2nd graders study the Underground Railroad and how it ties into the history of our community.  This also ties in to the start of the Civil War and other important events, speeches and publications during this time period.

I plan on making a popplet with my students to show the flow of water in the water cycle.  I will be able to insert photos and videos to enhance the experience for my students.


No comments:

Post a Comment