Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Thing 15 - Assessment


        
                     

Student Response Systems

 
1 question (plus name)

 
5 question quiz (6 questions with the name question)




Spreadsheet of Results


I like the instant feedback you get with Socrative.  I will be able to reteach in small groups as the need arises.  This tool allows me to assess in the moment to see if students have learned the information and then, after a few weeks, I can see who has retained this information.  Since our school will be getting a class set of iPads, scheduling will be as “interesting” as it is when several classes are wanting to finish projects in our current computer lab.

Enhanced Student Response Systems


As I said above, I like getting the instant feedback.  The confusion meter was interesting to me.  I did have several students mark confused.  However, looking back, I wonder if they were confused about the topic of money or the ability to take the quiz??  I usually have a pretty good handle on which of my students is struggling in math.  Using this app allowed me to have confirmation and to speak with students immediately about their concerns and answer any questions.  I was able to target several students that had little experience with money and have them meet with our instructional assistant, Mrs. Van Meter.   I really like the feature of the teacher controlling the pace of the quiz.  I have some students that would take three days for a ten question math test if I allowed it.

If I had to choose an app to use, I believe I would use Socrative.  I think it was easy to use and I liked how it looked on my screen and on the students’ screen.  The app GoSoapBox wasn’t bad, but I think it would be better for older children.  Socrative was very simple looking to me and hopefully would not be overwhelming to my students.  There were several that seemed a bit overwhelmed by the GoSoapBox app.  Those that tried the Socrative app seemed a little bit more comfortable with it’s function.

No comments:

Post a Comment